Monday, August 1, 2011

Taste the Rainbow!

Today I will devote an entire blog post to Skittles.

FOOLED YA!

Actually, a good friend of mine suggested I write on "eating the rainbow"...which in healthy eating terms means to have several different colors of food on your plate at a meal.  Natural colors.  I am sure Red Velvet cake and Blue Raspberry Icee's don't count. ;)

Think about the color wheel we all learned in art back in school.  Now, think of the foods that fit into those color categories:

RED- watermelon, tomatoes, strawberries, red bell peppers, cherries, apples

YELLOW- cheese, yellow tomatoes or peppers, summer squash, corn, bananas, sliced hard-boiled eggs

ORANGE- carrots, cantaloupe, oranges (duh), cheddar cheese

GREEN- fresh spinach, lettuce, sugar snap peas, green beans, broccoli

BLUE- Blueberries, blue cheese (Okay..having trouble with blue. Sorry!)

PURPLE- blackberries, red cabbage shreds, plums, grapes.  And as much as I hate them...beets.

Now, if you have a picky eater, my suggestion is to have them get involved in selecting items from the rainbow that they would like to have on their plate.  If it's presented as being 'their' idea, it may go over more smoothly than if it feels like it is being forced on them. 

One fun thing that we do on occasion is have a 'cold plate lunch'.  I might arrange on a plate raw sugar snap peas, carrot sticks, raw summer squash sticks and have a small container of Ranch dressing to dip them in.  On the side can be cubed cheese and whole wheat crackers with a small bowl of mixed berries sweetened with a little honey or topped with vanilla yogurt.  Rainbowlicious if you ask me.  I feel guilty even posting this idea because it's not even really an 'idea', putting stuff on a plate!


Have fun working in the 'rainbow' to your lunch schedules!  The combinations and possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Have you tried taking raw beets and grating a bit on a box grater to add for salads? I find that I like them better that way than pickled or cooked. They remind me of carrots when raw.
    LW

    ReplyDelete